This was recently shared on twitter. My prayers & heart go out to all of these folks.
That’s terrifying and I am just crying. This is appalling. There aren’t words for what I hope for these families and their safety. I don’t pray but I will be really thinking of all these families and people right now.
At this moment of time all I can say is fuck the Israeli government, fuck everything about the Israeli government and fuck every supporter of the Israeli government.
Its shore is not bluer than the shores of Arab cities.
Its oranges are not the most beautiful in the Mediterranean basin.
Gaza is not the richest city.
It is not the most elegant or the biggest, but it equals the history of an entire homeland, because it is more ugly, impoverished, miserable, and vicious in the eyes of enemies. Because it is the most capable, among us, of disturbing the enemy’s mood and his comfort. Because it is his nightmare. Because it is mined oranges, children without a childhood, old men without old age and women without desires. Because of all this it is the most beautiful, the purest and richest among us and the one most worthy of love.
Oh facebook, you’re the only place I can offend someone with both my political views and my cute couple photos within a few days.
Minimalist quotes from Fight Club
- The things you own end up owning you.
- It’s only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything.
- You’re not your job. You’re not how much money you have in the bank. You’re not the car you drive. You’re not the contents of your wallet. You’re not your fucking khakis. You’re the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. (A note from Joshua: after re-reading this quote, I literally threw away every pair of khakis I owned. There was something about this quote, holistically, that had a real effect on my nerve endings.)
- Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions.
- Fuck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let…lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.
- The liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perceptions.
- Do you know what a duvet is?…It’s a blanket. Just a blanket. Now why do guys like you and me know what a duvet is? Is this essential to our survival, in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word? No. What are we then?…We are consumers. We’re the byproducts of a lifestyle obsession.
- We’re consumers. We are the byproducts of a lifestyle obsession. Murder, crime, poverty, these things don’t concern me. What concerns me are celebrity magazines, television with 500 channels, some guy’s name on my underwear. Rogaine, Viagra, Olestra…Fuck Martha Stewart. Martha’s polishing the brass on the Titanic. It’s all going down, man. So fuck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns.
- Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who’ve ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don’t need. We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War’s a spiritual war…our Great Depression is our lives. We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won’t. And we’re slowly learning that fact. And we’re very, very pissed off.
- What do you want? Wanna go back to the shit job, fucking condo world, watching sitcoms? Fuck you, I won’t do it.
- [Talking about consumerism] We are all part of the same compost heap.
- How embarrassing…a house full of condiments and no food. [A synecdoche for modern consumer driven life.]
- [Narrator, while looking at a Calvin Klein-esque ad on the bus] Is that what a real man is supposed to look like?
- Fuck what you know. You need to forget about what you know, that’s your problem. Forget about what you think you know about life, about friendship, and especially about you and me.
- Hitting bottom isn’t a weekend retreat. It’s not a goddamn seminar. Stop trying to control everything and just let go! LET GO!
- Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.
- Only after disaster can we be resurrected.
- Guys, what would you wish you’d done before you died?
- [After Raymond Hessel faces death but lives] Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessel’s life. His breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever tasted.
- [Talking to himself about himself] Hey, you created me…take some responsibility!
- [Talking about Fight Club] And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight.
- God Damn! We just had a near-life experience, fellas. [Suggesting that most experiences are, by nature, dead.]
- Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.
- Time to stand up for what you believe in.
- If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don’t you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can’t think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you’re supposed to read? Do you think every thing you’re supposed to think? Buy what you’re told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you’re alive. If you don’t claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned.
- This is your life, and it’s ending one minute at a time.
Hitler flirting with Eva Braun.
I don’t know how this makes me feel
It makes me feel very uncomfortable
You know what’s so uncomfortable about this? It shows that perhaps one of the most evil men in history, was a human being. That, on occasion, he could be nice, even flirty. That’s not all. You want to see evil people as evil, screaming horrible stuff over a desk with 20 microphones with 20, 000 people saluting them. The evil is clear and recognizable then. This shows a completely different image, it scares you because that means that evil isn’t a stereotype, that evil is not recognizable, that evil could be anyone. It scares you because this shows that could be lurking inside anyone and you’ll never ever know. Maybe in you?
i reblogged this literally like 2 minutes ago, but i want this version because of that comment ^
That comment is one of my favorite post commentaries, because it’s completely right. People aren’t inherently evil. Like good, it’s a role they grow and live into. We have just as much potential to destroy as this man exhibited. And it’s a very eye opening experience to realize that.
does anyone even remember that one time hitler attended that luncheon between world leaders, some guests of which even included china’s socialist leader as well as Stalin. And then when they were ordering, everyone was gladly ordering impressive dishes one after the other, but Hitler placed an order for barley tea and a pheasant (considered a peasant’s meal by standard). When he was questioned as to why he would order something like this in something as grand as a world leader’s congress, he replied,
“I don’t smoke when my people cannot smoke, and I cannot eat when my people are going hungry.”
He wasn’t evil for its own sake, let’s try to remember that despite the countless murders, but for a moment, he did actually believe he was doing something for the good of his countrymen.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE
No, he’s right. Hitler, though extremely wrong in his views, did everything for what he thought would better the lives of his people. It was wrong. It was disgustingly, horribly wrong. But he did not do it because it was evil and he was evil. He did it because he believed it would help Germany and those who needed a better life. Those who don’t understand or even try to understand the human brain will always label men like him as ‘evil’ because it is easier to accept. But he wasn’t ‘evil.’ He felt love and loyalty and responsibilities. He simply took these aspects and morphed them into a twisted, violent thing.
Tumblr is probably the only place we could have this conversation and not be lynched.
oh my god reblogging if only for the last comment
this is literally the best thing on tumblr
Honestly, I don’t understand why everyone was so pissy at Hitler when he did the same things Russia did to Poland, but nobody invaded Russia… they used Germany as a scapegoat. Also, Hitler didn’t want to kill every Jew, nor did the Nazis kill more than 1 million Jews. He wanted to get rid of the communist Jews who were trying to destroy Germany after WWI. Nothing wrong with trying to oust a bunch of fuck-asses trying to destroy your economy.
^ Just some thoughts of mine: I don’t think it’s so important how many have been killed, because even a small percentage would have been too much. Nobody deserves to be treated the way Jews etc. have been in WWII.
(Reblogging this mainly for the first bolded comment, though it makes me sick having this gif on my blog.)
The easiest way to be creative.
Sometimes an idea will be bad, it will fail. But sometimes an idea will be good and it will change things. The only real way to tell whether an idea is good or bad is to try it, even if you think it will flop. That’s the easiest way to be creative: try something different.
Today I learned I have almost no respect for almost everyone on on my Facebook friends list. It is possible to have a debate with someone without calling them names or devaluing their intelligence. You totally invalidate yourself when you start name calling. “I have nothing better to say so, like, you’re an idiot and you’re wrong.”